Reuse & Green Move jobs
A number of Reuse jobs served as a basis for the 'Green Move' relocation program.
City of Melbourne, Melbourne CBD - October 2006 - stationery
- Stationery no longer needed by the City of Melbourne after their move of
premises to the CH2 building.
- The collection and sorting process began 7 weeks before the actual move,
and continued for another 5 weeks until the sorting space was vacated. A total
of 12 weeks.
- During this time the 13,700 items collected were redistributed to over 100
community groups, charities and individuals for reuse. Approximately 40% of
these items were suspension files, and 20% lever arch folders and ring binders.
- 65% of the items were distributed during the 12 weeks, with the remaining
items collected by the Salvation Army Family Stores and The Reverse Art Truck,
for further redistribution through their networks.
- Five Green Collect staff member were employed during the program in areas
of collection, sorting and co-ordination. A total of approximately 200 hours.
- Over the 12 weeks approximately 60 community groups and 40 individuals
visited our sorting space to take stationery
Vicserv, North Fitzroy - March 2007 - furniture and office
- All items were sold onsite in the week before the move of premises.
- There were approximately 180 items available for sale, and additional binders
(200+) and suspension files (600+), available at no charge.
- 85% of items sold were sold to community groups, with the remaining 15%
- Over $1,700 was made from the redistributed items. 77% of the items available
were sold, with 18% being given away and the remaining 5% were taken to the
Brotherhood of St Lawrence.
- Four Green Collect staff members were employed for a total of approximately
64 hours in areas of transport, sorting and co-ordination.
Yarra Melbourne Regional Library, Collingwood - May 2007
- furniture, office equipment & stationery
- Initially items for redistribution were listed and photographed. It was
decided that these items should be initially sold at a reasonable price and
then if unable to be sold, given away, with the priority being that the premises
was cleared by the end of June.
- Green Collect staff were present at the premises for two days each week
of June to facilitate the program, a total of 8 days.
- There were approximately 120 different items available for sale (260 individual
items). Additional stationery and kitchen items were given away at no charge.
- 90% of items sold were sold to community groups, with the remaining 10%
were sold to individuals.
- Additionally the free stationery was posted on 'Freecycle', a website facilitating
the free exchange of goods. There were appromiately 60 responses to this posting,
of whom approximately 15 came in on the collection days.
- Over $3,000 was made from the 220 items sold. 85% of the items available
- Three Green Collect staff members were employed a total of approximately
105 hours over the four week period in areas of transport, sorting and co-ordination.